Wednesday, January 6, 2021

January 2021

A List: The Venerable Bede--Ecclesiastical History of the English People.............321/360

B List: (Sir) Walter Scott--The Bride of Lammermoor................................................28/334

C List: Carlyle--The French Revolution....................................................................518/727

I am falling somewhat behind again. At least one report, and I really need to get it together and try to blast through the rest of that Carlyle, but between Christmas and now (hopefully only) two weeks of remote school to open January, everyone is home all day again and I am reduced to having to get up super early even to be able to read a little bit. Bede and Carlyle are both worthwhile things to read, especially at my time of life, but the level of interest they hold for me varies wildly from one section to the next. The accounts of Bishop Wilfrid's pilgrimages to Gaul and Rome are able to hold my attention more than the minutiae of Church rules and the various disputes concerning them which take up much of the book. Carlyle has picked up again, when I can get to him, once he got to the tumultuous events of August and September 1792, serious political massacres in Paris, and the invasion of foreign powers on the frontier, the all-consuming intensity and danger of which still represent a point that I don't see our society as having crossed over to yet, though I suppose it could stumble into such a calamity if the current level of foolishness on all sides continues as it is.

Today was the day of the (alleged) coup of the Trump supporters storming the Capitol. I admit, my main impression on seeing the pictures that emerged from the event were "Is this real?" in the sense of "Was there ever any real danger here?" or "Was this allowed to go on for the purpose of further riling up people (especially on the 'left') who are at this point already dangerously borne along by emotions and rage." This insurrection looked pretty cartoonish and without a lot of weight behind it. Most commentators seem to be angry that they weren't shot or dealt with more violently, and I do wonder why they weren't if this was truly any kind of threat to anyone with power. I am usually a waiter and seer in these instances anyway. My instinct is telling me that some important piece of the story is missing. At least any part that would really cause me any sense of alarm.

Lot of pictures this month. My wife lost her phone for a few days over Christmas, so she requisitioned mine, and she takes exponentially more pictures than I do. I have all kinds of trouble uploading from my phone, so these are not in any kind of order.    




Christmas tree farm, Vermont, January 2nd 


This was supposed to be the last picture, for example. 


My Twitter followers will notice that I have changed my profile picture. I had put up a picture of myself because I thought I should be honest about my identity or something, but I think it was discouraging/turning off people from following me. I thought maybe if I had some kind of logo I might come off as more attractive. I have the idea for the time to have rotating vintage book imprints until I can come up with something else.  


Merrimack River, Concord, NH, New Year's Day.


Vermont again, post-New Year's mood.


A moment of play on the old swing. When it's the last child of six it's extra poignant. Those yard toys will probably be gone in a few more years. 


The river during a nighttime walk.


Masking up for Christmas at grandmother's. I am not really persuaded of the efficacy of mask wearing but of course like most other people I am so beaten down and mentally confused that I don't protest against it if people want me to put one on. It's been 12 days and nobody got covid, by the way.


I'm out of time. No more picture commentary. The public can probably figure out what the rest of these are anyway.


 





No comments:

Post a Comment