Thursday, October 17, 2013

Checking In

Finished City of Thieves today. Over the last few days I thought that the extreme implausibility of the climactic scenes detracted from the overall book, but then I considered that maybe the character of the book is in the same tradition as the implausible romances of Scott or Cooper or the tales of the medieval knights, with the bonus that the narrative is more modern and interesting than these other books. All the same, the last third of it was a drop off from the earlier parts, which I was impressed by, and I am pretty good at resisting writers, especially when I have been told in advance how smart they are. It is one of the hard and last tests of literature, for a writer to carry a book all the way through and bring it to a satisfying, conclusive end, but of course if you want to be great you must be able to do it.


I don't know if this is considered a trend yet, or if it was considered a trend but has already come and gone, or if people like Woody Allen and Mel Brooks and Philip Roth are already long considered to have broached the subject, but this story seems to share with the Quentin Tarantino movie Inglorious Basterds which also came out a few years ago (and which I haven't seen) the character of having Jewish characters in World War II stories possessed of agency to combat successfully and heroically against Nazis. I think I have read of other books and stories that have taken this tack as well. It is being largely driven by people, mainly, as far as I can tell, men, from my generation, who were born 20-30 years after the war ended and grew up during a period when sober dramatizations of the Holocaust were a central component of and influence on the culture, popular and otherwise. The, to this point, mild reaction against this represented by the stories referred to here, makes a certain amount of sense when one considers it, but I do not think most observers would have predicted it in the 1970s or 80s. Nonetheless, even though it occurred in a modern age of hyper-documentation and historiography and voice recordings and film footage--I just saw a clip of some of the footage from Buchenwald the other day, mounds of corpses being bulldozed into pits and so on--in modern American life anyway it seems inevitable as time goes on and the world in which these atrocities took place and the commentaries and interpretations that were made of them grows every day less immediate, less remembered, less real by the living, that people will not regard or relate to it in the same way either.

Update 10/21/2021: I had not at the time I wrote this post read any Scott, and I was basing my opinion of him on what I took to be the common contemporary judgment. I underestimated him, he is a great novelist and should still be held in the high regard he was formerly. 

I did like the Benioff book (City of Thieves) at the time, I thought it was skillfully written, though I haven't thought about it very much in the years since. I don't know that my commentary in the second paragraph has either aged terribly or proved especially prescient or insightful, but I don't think there is nothing to it. This trend seems to have faded, at least among reasonably serious or intellectual artists, though I do not pay as much attention to current trends as I used to.   

No comments:

Post a Comment